It’s not just a wheelchair – It’s your livelihood.
As one of United Spinal Association’s newest programs, UsersFirst advocates for greater access to appropriate wheelchairs, mobility scooters and seating systems for people with disabilities.
UsersFirst rejects the one-size-fits-all perception of mobility equipment. We believe that the right wheelchairs, mobility scooters and seating systems are fundamental elements in maintaining the health, quality of life, and independence of people with disabilities.
The UsersFirst Movement gains momentum through United Spinal Association’s wide-range of programs and services; public policy initiatives; large peer support network and growing list of national chapters; highly visible web presence; and lifestyle and educational publications that reach hundreds of thousands of individuals with disabilities annually.
What We Fight For
UsersFirst fights for people with disabilities to have access to mobility equipment that’s right for them, so they can live the lives they choose.
People with disabilities nationwide are unable to live the lives they choose because their using “average” wheelchairs tailored to the needs of “average” wheelchair users. The problem is there’s no such thing as an average wheelchair user. We all have specific needs when it comes to our mobility.
Now’s the time we speak up as consumers!
People with disabilities continue to be restricted to the wrong mobility equipment by insurance companies that don’t care about their individual needs and stakeholders within the industry that don’t offer the proper support.
UsersFirst is committed to helping people with disabilities obtain the right wheelchairs, mobility scooters and seating systems by:
• Nurturing self-advocacy. We provide valuable resources, insight and guidance to overcome all types of mobility issues––as well as effective outlets to voice opinions on topics not only impacting your quality of life, but choices as consumers.
• Improving access to funding. Finding the best funding options and sources available to fulfill your mobility equipment needs can be time-consuming and lead you down many dead end roads. We can guide you through the red tape.
• Taking the fight to Capitol Hill. We advocate in Washington, DC and bring the mobility concerns of our community to the attention of state legislators. We also raise awareness among wheelchair manufacturers, medical equipment suppliers, therapists and other consumer groups. Most importantly, we urge our supporters to get off the sidelines, share their experiences (good and bad), and play an active role in our efforts to spark changes in attitudes and policies.
• Improving access to proper evaluations. You can’t fight for your mobility needs if you don’t know what they are. That’s why it’s critical to have a trained assistive technology expert knowledgeable about various disabilities review your current wheelchair and seating equipment to determine whether or not it’s the best for you. We can help!
• Holding equipment dealers and manufacturers accountable in maintaining the highest standards in customer service and support. Have an unresolved issue with a warranty? Are you getting the cold shoulder in acquiring a replacement part or repair? We offer a helping hand to ensure the problem is resolved.